Last updated 1 year ago
Clara Barton’s Red Cross Ambulance, 1898
Ambulance 1898: Purchased by the Central Cuban Relief Committee of New York for use by Clara Barton and the American National Red Cross, it was sent to Camp Thomas, an army debarkation camp in Chickamauga, Georgia. The Red Cross nurses at Camp Thomas helped care for U.S. Army soldiers called to Cuba, many of whom suffered that summer from typhoid. After the war, this ambulance was used at the Red Cross HQ in Glen Echo, MD, a distribution center for relief supplies.
Radiology in the First World War - Everything Rad
It was difficult and time-consuming to evacuate the thousands of wounded soldiers from the trenches to traditional military hospitals located far behind the lines. The solution was to develop mobile radiology units which could get closer to the battlefields. The French in particular were active in this aspect,